New records for electronic payments
- Daily record of 10,535,817 transactions on Saturday 21 December
- On Saturday 21 December, the total number of electronic transactions in 2019 in Belgium passed the 2,5 billion mark
Brussels, 22 December 2019 – In the last days before Christmas, Belgians hit the shopping streets en masse. Worldline [Euronext: WLN], the European leader in payment and transaction services, processed a new absolute record of 10,535,817 electronic payments in-store and online on Saturday 21 December. On the same day, the yearly total of electronic transactions for 2019 passed the 2.5 billion mark.
Record weekend for electronic payments
On Saturday 21 December, Belgians made a whopping 10,535,817 electronic payments, officially toppling the previous record. Until now, Black Friday 2019 was the record-holder for the best day in the history of electronic payments in Belgium, with 10,432,103 payments processed on Friday 29 November.
The current standing of the top 3 record days:
- Saturday 21 December 2019 with 10,535,817 transactions
- Friday 29 November 2019 with 10,432,103 transactions
- Saturday 22 December 2018 with 10,061,606 transactions
More than 2.5 billion electronic payments in 2019
On Saturday, December 21, the yearly total of electronic transactions so far in 2019 also surpassed the 2.5 billion mark. By way of comparison, a total of 2.3 billion electronic payments were registered in 2018. This again confirms the growing popularity of electronic payments in Belgium. More and more consumers are looking for security, speed and ease of use. They expect to be able to pay for all their purchases electronically, regardless of the amount.
Other notable trends in 2019
- E-commerce transactions increased by 27.5% compared to the same period last year, with more than 250 million transactions to date;
- In-store transactions increased by 11.5% compared to 2018;
- Contactless payments are on the rise: since the beginning of December, more than one out of 8 purchases made with a Bancontact card was contactless. By way of comparison, in December 2018, only one in 20 Bancontact payments was contactless.
Worldline Press Office: 02 727 68 22 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Worldline [Euronext: WLN] is the European leader in the payment and transactional services industry. With innovation at the core of its DNA, Worldline’s core offerings include pan-European and domestic Commercial Acquiring for physical or online businesses, secured payment transaction processing for banks and financial institutions, as well as transactional services in e-Ticketing and for local and central public agencies. Thanks to a presence in 30+ countries, Worldline is the payment partner of choice for merchants, banks, public transport operators, government agencies and industrial companies, delivering cutting-edge digital services. Worldline’s activities are organized around three axes: Merchant Services, Financial Services including equensWorldline and Mobility & e-Transactional Services. Worldline employs circa 11,000 people worldwide, with estimated pro forma revenue of circa 2.3 billion euros on a yearly basis. worldline.com